Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Blind Side

I had been wanting to see The Blind Side forever. We tried to see it at the movie theater, but they oversold the tickets. It has been on On Demand for awhile, so I finally watched it while Steve and Will were at Priesthood.

There are so many lessons to learn from this movie!! It is amazing that a white woman in the South would even think of helping a big black man. My aunt in Arkansas still is very discriminatory toward Black people.

When LeeAnn and Sean went to bed the first night Big Mike was in their house, I think that no matter how Christian we are, we would all wonder about our belongings. Would we be just as concerned if it was a new white person, that we had just met? I think I would have had those feeling no matter who it was. I don't think I could have brought a stranger like Mike into my house. I have had those times where I thought I should have given money to the person on the side of the road and have just kept on going. You hear and read those stories about the scammers out there, but then there are those who truly need help. I guess it is all in listening to the Spirit, and hoping that you are helping the right person. When I was in San Francisco, with Mom and John, a man came up to up with his cup and sign-which said "Why Lie? It is for a beer." I gave him some change...Not that I agreed with the beer-but at least he was up front!!

The other kids in the family could have been so jealous!! I loved SJ and his training and being with Mike during the College Scouting!! When he said how close they were, I just thought that was so great!! To come from the monetary and social deprivity that Mike did to what he ultimately experienced was just so inspiring. He had no other siblings-that he really knew and had no money or items of comfort. How many kids would no complain about the one extra shirt they had?? How many kids would go and handwash it everyday?? How many kids would clean up the gym, so that they would have the leftover popcorn? How many kids would clen up after themselves?

This movie showed how our educational system can fail a child. To get to high school, with all of the educational deficits that Mike had is amazing. I have heard of these things-and teachers that really did not care. I never experienced that in my education. Parents can fail the kids, as well. Reading to a child every night does not have to be expensive. Books can come from the library. What an example to set for a child-parents showing the value of learning always-parents reading...

I could keep going and going!!! This was probably one of those movies I can see over and over!! If you ahve not seen it----rent it or PPV it!!

1 comment:

Az Kelms said...

This is one of my very favorite movies. I am like you and came out of the movie just feeling like I should be a better person. Lots of things to think about in this movie.