Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Little Prayer, Please

I have a friend, Kellie, that I really feel Heavenly Father had a hand in helping us to meet each other.  In December, when I finally told the docs that I wanted to leave, we were looking for my replacement.  She happened to being her son in for a tonsillectomy consultation, and mentioned that she was an ENT nurse in Colorado.  I proceeded to shut the door and asked her if she was looking for a job.  She told me that she had completed treatments for Hodgkins Lymphoma and was thinking of going back to work after the 1st of the year.  I highly suggested that she contact our HR department and apply for my job.  Well, she contacted HR and ended up getting the CSM job at our Baseline location. 

As Kellie had experience with EMR she began to attend our meetings on Tuesday nights, and since we already kind of knew each other, she would call me when she needed anything.  We would take about our experiences with cancer and the treatments, bald heads, getting your hair done for the first time...

It will be three weeks on Monday that Kellie called me, very upset.  She has a PET scan, which lit up her neck, indicating that she had cancer again in her neck.  She had been to her oncologist, and yes, the lymphoma was back.  she had finished a triathalon in June and was feeling great.  The PET was her regular 6 month follow up, so no one expected anything to light up!!  She is in such great shape!!!  She had had her hair colored and cut for the first time since she finished treatments, loved her job, and her family was getting back to as  normal as life with a 20 month old and 4 year old could be!!  You see, she was initially diagnosed not long after her son was born!!

Kellie has a long road ahead of her.  She was to start chemo today, but the oncologist decided to wait until next week, so she could be evaluated at Mayo, where she will ultimately have a bone marrow transplant in a couple of months.  But, to get ready for the transplant, the medications will almost kill her!!  She has to have chemo for three consecutive weeks, one week off and then repeat for at least 2 courses.  she will then have bone marrow extracted from her hip..I read today  up to 2 quarts...that will then be processed for her T cells.  she will go to Mayo for more high dose chemo, and will have the T cells given, like a blood transfusion.    during this time, which can be from 4-6 weeks, she will have to stay in the hospital. 

So....please remember Kellie in your prayers!!!  When I look at her, I see me...Our lives mirror each other's in so many ways and in so many things.  It is almost tot he point that we know when the other will be calling about some work thing!!  Our Mom's both were in our jobs before us....We are both nurses....We both have been the cancer route...We both are independent....
 

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh, Vicki! This is so sad! She will definitely be in my prayers!