Sunday, July 24, 2011

Communication

Today in Sacrament meeting, the topic was ancestors and how they have imparted their knowledge, feelings, experiences, etc. to us.  Using a pen and paper or storytelling was their only method.  When you think of  the cavemen and generations prior to the pen and paper, we see petroglyphs as a method of communicating.

As Angie Nelson was speaking, I was thinking of how easy we have it now......Everyone with an internet connection has the ability to have a free blog and it can me made private, so that your innermost feelings are just yours. 

I thought of the news story that I heard this week....schools are not teaching cursive writing,  Research has found that with the computers and electronic methods of communication, it is not needed.  Isn't that sad?? I find myself writing less and less and using the computer more and more. 

Letters will soon be a thing of the past.  We get an email from Will every week, and a hand written letter about every 6 weeks.  In the past, missionary families were lucky to only hear from their missionaries every 6 weeks, if that often.  If we do not hear by noon on a Monday, we begin to wonder what is happening.....then I think of missionary families of only a few years ago....and I realize how lucky we are.

With social networking, Will's first pension, Alex, became my friend on Facebook.  I was able to check on Will every so often.  It is amazing that through our computers we have almost instant access to someone 15 hours away by plane!!  Alex and I became friends, and I hope that our family has been able to help his family with their future and he has helped our son become a great missionary!!

No comments: